The NDIS funds ‘reasonable and necessary’ supports for people with disabilities. This means if a participant can’t perform tasks like vacuuming and cleaning because of their disability, the NDIS will provide funds for a support worker to do these tasks instead. However, the NDIS won’t provide funds for specialist services, such as an electrician or plumber.
Many cleaners aren’t registered with the NDIS, so it’s important to understand the steps you need to take to engage their services. Read our comprehensive guide below to find out what you need to do if you want to hire a cleaner through your NDIS plan funds.
At Absolute Care & Health, our support workers are able to help you maintain a clean home. We can vacuum, mop, and perform general cleaning duties, as well as a range of other support services.
Do you qualify for funding for a cleaner?
First things first, you’ll need to make sure you qualify for funding for a cleaner. Cleaning and home maintenance fall under the Core Support ‘Assistance with Daily Living’. So, if you have funds allocated to this category, you can use this support.
Finding an NDIS registered cleaner
If you have a self-managed fund, you can hire any cleaner you choose. But the NDIA recommends choosing cleaners who are registered with the NDIS. If they are registered with the NDIS, it means they must remain in compliance with the quality and safety requirements of the NDIS commission. The commission protects you and your rights, so that you receive the highest quality supports and services.
What if I want to hire a cleaner who isn’t registered with the NDIS?
Many cleaners who aren’t registered with the NDIS still provide high quality services. If you do choose to hire a non-registered cleaner, you’ll need to take the following steps:
- Set up a service agreement: This is a written statement outlining how and when your services are delivered.
- Agree upon a price: The NDIS uses an hourly rate system, so you and your cleaner need to agree on a price before they start the job.
If there are any extra costs, cleaners can’t add these to their invoices. They’ll either need to incorporate these costs into the hourly rate, or you’ll need to pay out of your own pocket. To get an idea of how the NDIS sets the price rates, visit the price guide page on the NDIS website.
Use support services from a registered NDIS provider
Instead of hiring a cleaner yourself, you can utilise supports from registered NDIS providers. At Absolute Care & Health, our support workers can help you manage your home. We can do anything, from cleaning tasks to helping you cook food.
We can match you with a support worker who meets your preferences. We consider things like:
- Multilingual needs (if applicable)
- Preference for gender
- Awareness of the nuances of gender and sexual identity
What our clients have to say about us
Our support workers go the extra mile to make sure our clients can achieve the goals outlined in their NDIS plans. Read what they have to say:
- “When the Absolute Care and Health Carers are here I know that if James asked for something he would get it. They even do the ironing which is such an incredible help to me. That has allowed me to get out and do what I need to do.” – James and Sue
- “They’re very observant. If they see anything that needs to be done, they do it.” – Gloria and Ted
- “Elly looks after Ruth when she gets up in the morning, takes us for a drive wherever we want to go and does the cooking. It’s Elly’s personality, that the others haven’t got, that makes her above all the rest.” – Ruth and Tony
Other services we offer
We’re a registered NDIS provider, and our team of disability support workers are fully trained and experienced in assisting with a wide range of services.
We offer assistance with:
- Daily personal activities
- Attending social events
- Developing skills and accessing education
- Attending doctors appointments or seeing other allied health professionals
- Administering medicines
We’re passionate about helping our clients achieve the goals outlined in their NDIS plans. We’ll work with you to ensure you can maintain an independent lifestyle, while enjoying a strong connection with your community.
At Absolute Care & Health, we strive to provide the best support services for NDIS participants. Whether you need help at home, or you’d like to get out and about in the community, we can help.